This is my standard cold salad. I always have a bowl of it in the fridge. The flavors develop over time, so it is even better the next day.
- 2 cans of chickpeas
- 3 cloves of garlic (I really like garlic, so use less if you’re weary)
- 1/3 of a large red onion
- 1 cucumber
- 1 cup of shredded carrots
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1.5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- half a lemon
- Place rinsed chickpeas in a medium sized bowl.
- Mix the finely chopped garlic & red onion into the bowl.
- Peel the cucumber and cut in half longways. Score the seeds with your knife and then scoop them out with a small spoon. Rough chop the cucumbers and add to the mix.
- Shred a large carrot with the large side of a cheese grater, and mix in. I had pre-shredded carrots so I just used those :)
- Add salt, pepper, olive oil, vinegar, red pepper flakes, and lemon juice.
- Mix well and taste. Sometimes I need to add more salt or garlic. Up to you!
Black Bean & Corn Quinoa
- 3/4 of an onion
- 3/4 cups uncooked quinoa
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can black beans
- 1 small can of corn
- salt, pepper, cayenne, cumin to taste
- oil for sautéing
1. Set a large pan on medium heat and add some oil.
2. Dice the onion and place in the pan. Add some salt and cook until it begins to brown on the edges.
3. Pour in broth and spices. Mix well.
4. Add the quinoa and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, then cover.
5. Let simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. Add rinsed corn and black beans. Let it warm through for 5 more minutes. The quinoa is finished when the outside has become translucent.
I shredded some parmesan cheese (otherwise this is a vegan dish) and squirted a little sriracha on it for the photo. Optional but good if you have them!